How To Get A Gun Licence In Queensland

So, you’re interested in getting a weapons licence so you can own your own paintball marker?

Well, you have come to the right place, in this article, you will learn the exact process of obtaining a weapons licence so you can hit the field with your very own paintball destroyer, and, take it home to look after it as if it was your own child.

In order to own a firearm in Australia, you need to have a weapons licence issued to you by your state or territory weapon licensing branch. This is to stop Australia from becoming a gun crazed country like America, where every man and his dog owns a weapons arsenal big enough to start a small war. However, if you want a weapons arsenal of your own in Australia you CAN have one, you just need to prove you have no criminal history and go through the legal processes. Which is a great idea, good work Australia!

So first, let’s focus on how to get a weapons licence in the great state of QLD.

First of all, there are 4 steps;

  1. Weapons safety course
  2. Weapons licence application to Qld Police Weapons Licensing Branch
  3. Weapons license issue (wait 30 days and then…)
  4. First PTA (Permit To Acquire)

Weapons Safety Course

The weapons safety course is normally a full day course that you have to attend to be taught what a firearm is, learn about the different classes of firearms and general firearm safety.

So you will pretty much rock up to the venue where the course is being held at and do a half day of theory in a classroom with a few small tests at the end which you will have to pass. Then you head on down to the shooting range and have a shot of a few weapons with the instructor to show that you are competent to use a weapon.

There are a few different categories (Cat) that you can apply for in this safety course;

  • Cat A (rim-fire rifle, shotgun, air rifle)
  • Cat B (centre-fire rifle)
  • Cat C (semi-automatic rimfire, semi-automatic shotgun, pump action shotgun)
  • Cat H (pistols)


In order to participate in this course, students must meet the following requirements:

– Must be over 18 years of age (or have written consent from parent/guardian to attend)

– Must not have any physical or other impairment which would prevent you from handling firearms safely – if unsure, seek advice from your GP or contact us to discuss suitability

– Must not have any criminal convictions (relating to drug use, violence or weapons ) in the past 5 years

– Must not have been a subject to a domestic violence order in the past 5 years

– Must not have been subject to an involuntary mental health order in the past 5 years.

Once you have successfully completed the weapons safety course you will be presented with a certificate that will be sent to your address in the mail or given to you on the day depending on where you go.

You are now ready and able to get your weapons licence.

Weapons Licence Application

Before you apply online for your weapons licence there are a few things you need to attain.

Things you will need:

  • Proof of identification, 100 points
  • Passport quality photo
  • Weapons safety certificate
  • Letter of membership to your local paintball field

  • Proof of identification

A rates bill, electricity or bank statement that address your home address. A passport or current drivers licence

  • Passport quality photo

A photo that is no larger than 2MB in size with good lighting.

  • Weapons safety certificate

A copy of your weapons safety certificate

  • Letter of membership

If you want to own a paintball marker you will need to get a letter from your local paintball field stating that you are a member of their field and they give you permission to use your marker on their site.   FYI…. It is illegal to use a paintball marker anywhere but at a licenced paintball field in Australia.

Once you have all of the above go to this link below and follow the prompts.

You can choose either a 1-year registration up to 10 years with the price point being around $120 – $400 depending on how many years you would like.

Weapons licence approval

If for some reason your weapons licence is not approved you will receive either an email or letter in the mail telling you so. The reasons are as listed above that I have already referred to when I talked about safety certificates, and if those reasons apply to you, chances are you won’t get your license. If you’re not sure, ring weapons licensing and talk to one of the people there, and discuss your concerns with them. The phone number is 07-30157777

When you have been issued with a weapons licence and you are convicted of a serious offence or have a domestic violence order taken out against you, police will take your license from you and your weapons and all your weapons will be seized.

So don’t be a dick in society and you will be fine!

Once you license is approved, and this could take between 8 – 12 weeks, you will be sent your licence in the mail, and you are ready to buy a paintball marker, once a 30 day wait (cool off period) has expired.

Finding the right marker

Talk to us at or Tactical Ops Paintball on 0477522520 and we can help you out.

Permit To Acquire (PTA)

Before you buy any form of firearm you will need a PTA. You can apply for a PTA online at Fill out your form online and follow the processes, it’s an easy process, but you have to have everything ready including photos, safety certificate etc. This online form goes to Weapons Licensing staff to be assessed, processed and then determined whether or not it will be issued (they usually are).

A new PTA will need to be submitted every time you wish to buy a firearm.

Any firearm purchased must be brokered through a registered dealer. The seller has to take the marker to the dealer before the transaction can take place.

Once you receive your PTA you then take that to a gun dealer and they will broker the marker for you.

Then Bob’s your uncle, you are now a proud owner of a firearm. Happy days.


Always check with the Weapons Licensing Branch in your state before you proceed. There can always be changes to process and legislation. At the time of writing this blog, the information is current in Queensland only, but it can’t always be guaranteed after this date.


Thanks for reading this article. It would mean the world to me if you could leave a comment with your thoughts and give it a share if you know a mate that would benefit from this post.

Previous article The Best Way To Organise A Group For Paintball With No Hassl!
Next article How to Travel Internationally with a Weapon/Firearm from Australia

Leave a comment

Comments must be approved before appearing

* Required fields